Documentation Guidelines

SAEO recognizes that every person has their own unique path regardless of their disability status or particular diagnosis. This may involve working with various medical, mental health, and educational professionals. We accept documentation from a wide range of professionals and in many different forms. This helps us remove barriers to access and take an individualized and holistic approach to provide supports. We do, however, have some minimum criteria that all documentation must meet in order to be considered. All documentation must:

  • Be provided on professional letterhead, signed, and include the name, title, and professional credentials.
  • Confirm a diagnosis/the presence of a disability or chronic health condition
  • Describe the nature of the impairment and potential impact on the student’s ability to participate in the university’s educational programs and services.
  • Reflect an evaluation recent enough to provide comprehensive information about the disability that may still be deemed relevant. Documentation from childhood and early adolescence may not be considered applicable to a higher education setting.

Should a provider prefer completing a verification form rather than using SAEO's documentation guidelines to generate a letter or provide a copy of an evaluation/assessment, they may complete either a Physical/Medical/Sensory Disability Verification Form [PDF] or a Psychological/Psychiatric Disability Verification FormPsychological/Psychiatric Disability Verification Form [PDF]. These forms should be completed in their entirety in order to ensure that SAEO is being provided with the necessary information to determine appropriate accommodations.

Specialized Accommodations 

For information regarding certain specialized accommodations, please review the documentation guidelines for the appropriate area and/or concern.


For more detailed and specific information about what we look for when considering a student’s eligibility for accommodations, please refer below.